[Arm-netbook] RTD1186 750mhz MIPS SoC... $2 for 10k units!

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:59:31 BST 2013

Hello,

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:24:58 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://rhombus-tech.net/realtek/rtd1186/
>
> i've been looking up the realtek RTD1186 and i'm absolutely staggered
> to have received quotes varying from $1.90 to $3.80 for 10k quantities
> on this SoC.  its features include:
>
> * Realtek's 750mhz MIPS core
> * 3D OpenGL graphics
> * PCI Express
> * SATA
> * Gigabit Ethernet
> * USB 3
> * 3D HDMI
>
> i mean.... come on!  how in god's name is that even possible??  the
> only thing i can think of is that the volume is so high (because it's
> used in extreme mass-volume for HDTV products).

Watch for http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Lexra in cheap Realtek MIPS
cores. That seems like minor issue (heck, when we'll have our
OpenSource CPU, it'll have its own instruction set!), but devils of
integration should be at least accounted for. Current situation is that
none of mainstream distros appear to support MIPS RLX, for example many
people have cute Realtek routers running vendor crapware or dusting on
shelves because OpenWRT doesn't support it.

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com