[Arm-netbook] EOMA-200 30W module standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 00:23:04 BST 2013

http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/EOMA-200#Mechanical_Considerations_and_Design

i've added in a section showing the PCB layout.  we're also floating
the idea of re-using MiniPCIe at one end and putting 3 B2B connectors
at the other.  this would give a mechanical lock-down at one end, and
a vertical "click" at the other which saves people from trying to
smash the B2B connectors in at anything other than a straight-on
top-down angle.  we're also spec'ing a couple of steel locking pins -
again to help people avoid destroying the B2B connectors.

also the size we've expanded to 121 x 75mm and i'm hoping the fact
that that's fairly close to golden mean ratio escapes the attention of
my associates.

also as this standard is to be suited to x86 CPUs, it's kinda
unavoidable that they'll want standard SO-DIMM sockets, so that has to
be rather painfully accommodated in a dead-central area underneath the
Module, thus requiring a corresponding mandatory cut-out in the I/O
Board.  Modules which don't require SO-DIMM sockets could potentially
use this area for a couple of half-length Mini PCIe cards instead.  or
in fact anything else that doesn't go above 5mm in height.

i'm amazed that this standard is turning into a hell of a lot of work
(7300 words so far).  there's such a lot to consider here.  still
TODO: heat sink size, minimum I/O Board size recommendations, design
of a fan and its locking mechanism onto the heat sink....

waah!