[Arm-netbook] Fwd: Allwinner A31 + Imation/PowerVR/SGX

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:00:38 BST 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM, mike.valk at gmail.com <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> I Didn't try to pry, bash or complain. Just trying to prevent it.
>
> Ok alternative's/current state
>
> For ARM linked GPU's there are a number of choices for which open source
> drivers are well underway.
>
> GPU's I think are worth pursuing:

 right now?

> Mali : Lima (Almost ready to start build drivers and mainlining)

 but not available now.  i need product *now*.

> Ardreno: Freedreno (already mainlining)
> Vivante: Etna_viv (Coming along niceley)

 but not available in anything that's around $20 for a quad-core
processor.  i need product *now*.  money *now*.  then we can help any
number of free software projects.

> GPU's which might get interesting GPU wise:
> Nvidia Tegra: Open source drivers are being build. With backing of Nvidia.

> No 3D but there is info already available at Nouveau

 then it's not commercially viable, is it?  i need product *now*, and
money *now*, so that projects can be funded.

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI5MTk
> Intel ATOM: The current Atoms contain little 3D/Video capabilities or the
> Infamous PowerVR SGX IP cores. But the upcoming line of Atom's have Ivy
> bridge GPU's. And Intel is writing mainline open source drivers already.

 i know.  i have a request outstanding with intel for access to valleyview.