[Arm-netbook] Canonical Releases Ubuntu For Nexus 7

e8hffff at gmail.com e8hffff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:47:53 GMT 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 06:30:54 AM arm-netbook-request at lists.phcomp.co.uk wrote:
> Including Single/Multi Touch? ... If not then, good luck with the
> keyboard/mouse you nwo have to carry around with the tablet!
>
> Installing Plasma Active now to test
> Isn't Plasma Active only on x86 yet? I just checked the site and the
> tablets it supported were  all Atom based.

The Canonical image offers single touch, with a software keyboard popping up
when needed.  Maybe the code to determine touch is multi.

The touch interaction is usable but slow to navigate when compared to Android
and this is mainly due to swiping not being carried out and some tailorign
needed to button sizes and methods.  Example scrolling a list with your finger
swiping up or down the screen is not processed. Improvements will happen.

KDE4 works really fast on it but I haven't got the on-screen keyboard going in
that yet.

Plasma Active also has ARM code releases as far as I know. It's available in
the Canonical repositories. Not sure if it has the latest builds or resources,
though.

I'm still to get PlasmaActive working as my first flash become inaccessible due
to the system booting directly into a windows manager compared to lightdm.  I
trapped myself as it booted into half installed Kubuntu config and I had no
means to input nor remotely control the system. I reinstalled the flash and
made sure I put in a ssh server to access.

The ARM repository lacks Adobe Flash but I hope soon to test Gnash on Firefox.