[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:05:16 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:20:32 +0100
> "luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  ok, i'm not sure what you're saying, here, roman, unless it is that
>> yes, someone would read the writing on the box, "has 8 cores, is EOMA
>> server standard compliant" but beyond that would be unlikely to read
>> further about how many ports were on the connector.
>
> I meant to me it would seem entirely normal to have whole blocks of
> functionality optional for implementation on the card, e.g. I could see a lot
> of potential use for a card that leaves all of the RGB and HDMI and video and
> audio and USB and whatever other irrelevant in a particular task crap^W pins
> as NC (Not Connected), only implementing for example Ethernet.

 ok - the purpose of these discussions is to guess/identify if there
are any market segments where that kind of thing (a desire to ignore
entire sets of interfaces) is so common that it's worthwhile making a
completely separate standard for it, in order to reduce costs and not
have peoples' money wasted on providing stuff that's never going to be
used.

> The connector standard can stay the same across all boards, but reading the
> actual specs of the card you are getting (what it actually implements, and
> does it implement things you need) should be absolutely expected from a
> purchasing user, just as people today know basic things like how many cores in
> the x86 CPU they are getting, how much RAM and HDD in their new PC, etc.

 not good enough.  no.  i totally disagree.  i feel that they should
be able to read up *once* on EOMA-{insertstandardhere}, then go to a
store, glance at the specs "how much RAM, how many cores" and see the
words EOMA-{insertstandardhere} and *know* that that means
"non-optional interfaces A, B and C" are provided.

 they should *not* have to read the fine print.  i fundamentally
disagree with you that they should be forced to read and go "is it
EOMAv5000001.00001 or is it EOMAv500002.2393123" because they're just
going to go "fuckit, i don't care, this is too hard to understand:
let's just go buy a rack of x86 1U servers and shove them in".