[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Fri Oct 26 17:33:18 BST 2012

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:20:32 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

>  ok, i'm not sure what you're saying, here, roman, unless it is that
> yes, someone would read the writing on the box, "has 8 cores, is EOMA
> server standard compliant" but beyond that would be unlikely to read
> further about how many ports were on the connector.

I meant to me it would seem entirely normal to have whole blocks of
functionality optional for implementation on the card, e.g. I could see a lot
of potential use for a card that leaves all of the RGB and HDMI and video and
audio and USB and whatever other irrelevant in a particular task crap^W pins
as NC (Not Connected), only implementing for example Ethernet.

The connector standard can stay the same across all boards, but reading the
actual specs of the card you are getting (what it actually implements, and
does it implement things you need) should be absolutely expected from a
purchasing user, just as people today know basic things like how many cores in
the x86 CPU they are getting, how much RAM and HDD in their new PC, etc.

--
With respect,
Roman

"Stallman had a printer,