[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:17:27 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Mehmet Mersin <mmersin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard (but haven't researched much or tried) that raid performance
> of port expanders,
> especially cheap ones are not very good. There's no bandwidth problem
> with single SATA-3 port
> having 600MB/s theoretical limit, but I don't know any decently priced
> expander chip
> that can take advantage of this bandwidth. Also not all SATA
> controllers in SoC's
> support expanders. And when you use RAID mode of these chips and show
> your RAID setup
> as a single drive, performance is worse than soft RAID.

 mmm.  this is the best justification for 2x SATA i've heard.  or more.

 i'm leaning towards having "double height" or even triple-height
"stacked" cards, with multiple connectors per CPU Card if you want.
this would force the standard to have an absolutely-fixed distance
between cards, so that multi-height ones could fit cleanly into two
(or more) connectors on the same backplane.

 but in this way, if people wanted 2x SATA or even 3x SATA they would
just have a double-stacked or triple-stacked card (with 2 or 3
connectors).  on each connector would be 1000 Eth and one SATA (at
least).