[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

Mehmet Mersin mmersin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:29:52 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Mehmet Mersin <mmersin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In one of the previous mails, you said you'd consider making a
>> different design / spec for server version. I think no one will use
>> 24+ pins reserved for rgb output in a server system.
>
>  no - that was referring to the existing EOMA-68 standard, which is a
> standard designed for mass-volume appliances, *not* servers.  EOMA-68
> just happens to include USB3, 10/100/1000 Ethernet and SATA-III.

What I meant is making  EOMA-68 desktop (client?) and  EOMA-68 server versions
but it's probably not what you're trying to do.

My reasoning is even for a home server, if it's a file server I want to have
at least 2 SATA ports for RAID-1. And for a router I want to have at least
2 native (not USB) ethernet ports. But these also mean EOMA-68 is not for me :)

>> I think for a
>> server version of an EOMA standard, these pins are better used for a
>> second 1Gb ethernet and a second SATA port and even a second USB3.0
>> port or PCIe.
>
>  yes.  but in doing so, you now force *all* devices to have *exactly*
> those features.  they can NOT be optional.  so if the standard
> requires 2x 10/100/1000 Ethernet, then any SoCs which do not have 2x
> 10/100/1000 Ethernet are automatically excluded.  likewise for any
> other features.

>> For example Marvell ARMADA 370 SoC has 2 SATA and 2 Gb Ethernet ports
>> plus 2 1x PCIe port which can be used as USB3.0 with an appropriate
>> chip. SMILEPlug and Mirabox uses such a configuration.
>
>  ok, so that's at least a case for having 2-sata and 2-GbE and at
> least 2of 1x PCIe.  the ECX-1000 definitely has this level of
> functionality.
>
>  does anyone know of any other SoCs which have 2 SATA, 2 GbE and 2of
> 1x PCIe?  or anything remotely close to that?

Marvell Armada XP series have 2 SATA, 4 Gb Ethernet and many many PCIe lanes.
Also multiple cpu cores.

http://www.marvell.com/embedded-processors/armada-xp/

-mehmet mersin