[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:57:25 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Mehmet Mersin <mmersin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> So I believe that with EOMA, "1 Gbit ought to be enough for anyone." :)
>>
>>  i'm slowly coming round to this as well, for exactly the reasons you
>> say - which is that low-cost, low-power parallelism should eat
>> high-cost, high-power serialism hands down.
>>

> In one of the previous mails, you said you'd consider making a
> different design / spec for server version. I think no one will use
> 24+ pins reserved for rgb output in a server system.

 no - that was referring to the existing EOMA-68 standard, which is a
standard designed for mass-volume appliances, *not* servers.  EOMA-68
just happens to include USB3, 10/100/1000 Ethernet and SATA-III.

> I think for a
> server version of an EOMA standard, these pins are better used for a
> second 1Gb ethernet and a second SATA port and even a second USB3.0
> port or PCIe.

 yes.  but in doing so, you now force *all* devices to have *exactly*
those features.  they can NOT be optional.  so if the standard
requires 2x 10/100/1000 Ethernet, then any SoCs which do not have 2x
10/100/1000 Ethernet are automatically excluded.  likewise for any
other features.

> For example Marvell ARMADA 370 SoC has 2 SATA and 2 Gb Ethernet ports
> plus 2 1x PCIe port which can be used as USB3.0 with an appropriate
> chip. SMILEPlug and Mirabox uses such a configuration.

 ok, so that's at least a case for having 2-sata and 2-GbE and at
least 2of 1x PCIe.  the ECX-1000 definitely has this level of
functionality.

 does anyone know of any other SoCs which have 2 SATA, 2 GbE and 2of
1x PCIe?  or anything remotely close to that?