[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

Mehmet Mersin mmersin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:38:28 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
>
>> So I believe that with EOMA, "1 Gbit ought to be enough for anyone." :)
>
>  i'm slowly coming round to this as well, for exactly the reasons you
> say - which is that low-cost, low-power parallelism should eat
> high-cost, high-power serialism hands down.

In one of the previous mails, you said you'd consider making a
different design / spec for server version. I think no one will use
24+ pins reserved for rgb output in a server system. I think for a
server version of an EOMA standard, these pins are better used for a
second 1Gb ethernet and a second SATA port and even a second USB3.0
port or PCIe.

For example Marvell ARMADA 370 SoC has 2 SATA and 2 Gb Ethernet ports
plus 2 1x PCIe port which can be used as USB3.0 with an appropriate
chip. SMILEPlug and Mirabox uses such a configuration.

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-57-smileplug.aspx
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-58-mirabox-development-kit.aspx

CPU is a little on the weak side but other than that, It's a nice SoC
for a home server. And hopefully there'll be more chips for servers
with ARM cpu in the near future.

Best regards,
-mehmet mersin