[Arm-netbook] Mysteries of Lemote Yeeloong MIPS netbook

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 20 18:56:33 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 05:23 PM, Benson Mitchell wrote:>
> To turn sshd off in either case, you'd use something like:
> # sysv-rc-conf ssh off

Error message:
yee at Loong:~$ sysv-rc-conf ssh off
bash: sysv-rc-conf: command not found

> Sylvain Sauvage wrote: For a starter, you may just do 'chmod -x /etc/init.d/sshd' as root. You > may also remove the programs packages.

Error message:
yee at Loong:~$ chmod -x /etc/init.d/sshd
chmod: cannot access `/etc/init.d/sshd': No such file or directory

Yet, in the root folder is a "buddyinfo" file. I assume this is for ssh?
File contents:
Node 0, zone   Normal   2821   4143   1232    235     15      2      1
   1      0      0      0

KInfoCenter Samba Status: "Error: Unable to run smbstatus."  KInfoCenter
also has no information on DMA-Channels, IEEEE 1394 devices

A search offline in Synaptic Package Manager of installed ssh:
libsshl0.9.8, openssh-client, openssh-server, ssh and
xl-session-utilities. Synaptic Package Manager requires internet to
remove them.

>  Even if you didn't explicitely install FAM, it may:
>* have been there from the beginning,
>* or been pulled as a dependency from another package you installed.

FAM is not a dependency from any packages I installed because I didn't
install any packages. I do not have a wired connection. DMESG detects
wifi but wifi does not detect hotspots. The synaptic package manager
shows FAM installed.

No option to change default password "loongsong".

Regardless of what OS is preinstalled, it is extremely large yet is bare
bones. The OS is almost 5 GB after subtracting the size of my personal
files. I can only have less than 1 GB of personal files on this 8 GB
SSD. This bare bones OS is lacking the majority of packages that are
preinstalled in all distributions that I have experimented with which is
over 20. Lacking Gparted, DVD burner, torrent, scanner, IRC, etc.

Lemote's description of Yeeloong's OS is Redflag/Debian. Lemote does not
specify which Yeeloongs have preinstalled Redflag and which ones have
Debian.

Tekmote sells Yeeloong. Their FAQ is at
http://www.tekmote.nl/epages/61504599.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61504599/Categories/%22Q%20%26%20A%22
"Q: Where to find the restore instruction for Red Flag?
A: ftp://www.linux-ren.org/pub/RedFlag/loongson-image/"

The RedFlag distribution is 895 MB compared to my almost 5 GB. I
downloaded Redflag to examine it but ARK cannot open the tar file.

I assumed RedFlag was based on redhat because redhat has SELinux. There
is a SELinux folder in the root directory. However, the SELinux folder
is empty. DMESG message: "SELinux:  Disabled at boot."

DMESG identified OS as "huhb at debian":
yee at Loong:~$ dmesg
Linux version 2.6.27.1 (huhb at debian) (gcc version 3.4.6) #643 Sun Jan 3
11:38:33 CST 2010

Lemote named its Debian variant "OS v1.1.1." Download is at
http://www.lemote.com/upfiles/8089_OS_v1.1.1/. I do not know whether
this is Loonix.

This Debian variant has KDE.

I can't perform an internal secure erase using a live CD of Parted Magic
because MIPS won't boot to live CDs. How to wipe the SSD including the
protected area in the SSD prior to installing a 2012 chinese variant of
Debian at
http://www.anheng.com.cn/loongson/install/loongson2_debian7_20121011.tar.lzma
which was recommended as the best OS for Yeeloong at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.parabola.devel/10.