[Arm-netbook] Google ARM Chromebook

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Oct 19 14:12:41 BST 2012

On 10/19/2012 02:06 PM, michel memeteau wrote:

> 2012/10/19 Paul Kench <paulkench at yahoo.co.uk <mailto:paulkench at yahoo.co.uk>>
>

>     I think the biggest hope for GPU support, is that a whole load of
>     devices
>     with MALI (or whatever) get out there into the hands of people who
>     want the
>     support and can help provide it.
>
>     Paul
>

> maybe I'm mistaken, but if chromiumOS is working great on this exynos,
> it means they have at least a closed source driver that would work with
> any linux distro isn't it ?

Theoretically, yes. But binary drivers sometimes require a kernel module
"shim" which means the binary driver they use might only work with the
kernel the device ships with. That may or may not be good enough,
depending on what you are hoping to do with the device.

That and the fact that binary driver quality is _appalling_ a lot of the
time (Tegra2 Xorg drivers come to mind as being near unusably buggy).

Gordan