[Arm-netbook] help sourcing a 5in 800x480 LCD with capacitive touchpanel

Tom tomcatoa at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:22:05 BST 2012

luke.leighton <luke.leighton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> hi folks,
>
> there's a company that is designing a hand-held games console in
> EOMA-68 form-factor: they're getting on really well, with two
> absolutely great CAD/CAM designs done.  the only thing is: searching
> for reasonably-priced LCD panels with capacitive touchpanels is...
> damn difficult.
>
> could someone please help them out, here?  the price they've found so
> far is $50, from a U.S. supplier, via mouser.com.  it doesn't matter
> whom the product is from; we need 1k and 10k pricing; it *does* matter
> that the product is available and will continue to be available i.e.
> isn't from a batch of old stock that, once sold, will never be
> available ever again.

Check out for instance:

* OSD Displays http://osddisplays.com/
* Multek http://www.multek.com/
* Tianma http://www.tianma-usa.com/

A few manufactureres I've been working with with good prices. They also have US
offices.

Usually commercial LCDs have a 3 year life-cycle before they are replaced. If
you need a longer horizon then there's always displays meant for the industrial
market but at a higher price. I think you should come in at around $25-30 for
your display.