[Arm-netbook] FSF crowd-source tablet/laptop idea

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:06:55 BST 2012

On 10/18/12, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross <arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
> On 18/10/12 01:32, luke.leighton wrote:
>> ok.  i really liked the idea of the FSF doing crowd-source funding,
>
> I can imagine the news articles:
> "
> New Free Software Portable Computer
> There is a new laptop and tablet combo portable computer that is
> actually can be endorsed by the FSF. However it's the same old under 1gh
> cpu speed

 no i'd suggest picking one that can do 1.2 to 1.5ghz.  currently i'm
looking at the AM3892 (no GPU, therefore FSF Endorseable) because it
has the full set of EOMA68 interfaces.

> On 18/10/12 01:32, luke.leighton wrote:
>> my question is: does anyone have anything to add, spot the deliberate
>> mistake, any suggestions at all, before i start?  any better
>> companies to contact, or better but similar products out there?
>
> Setup a survey to find out what different people want.

 all right.  i like that idea.  i'll put it to john sullivan, see what
they think, and if they'd be willing to float that as part of the
roadmap.

> I can help with the questions.

 great.

> This newbie could try and set it up on your hosting or I can use some
> hosting lent to me to get my biz of the ground.

 cool.

 ok, let's think this through (the questions).  what's the obvious
basic questions (functionality), and then let's put some approximate
costs on each.  i think people need to know what the costs are if
they're expecting particular features.