[Arm-netbook] Questions about display resolution

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 22:07:02 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM,  <freebirds at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Derek LaHousse wrote:
>> TI does have a chip that can take a single RGB-TTL interface and output
>> to two LVDS channels.  I thought this was only good for pixel doubling.  Is it
>> reasonable to expect a single RGB-TTL to run at > 100 MHz in other chips?

> "The company will still support its OMAP customers, but don't expect to
> see many more OMAP-powered mobile device wins anytime soon."
> http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/09/26/texas-instruments-ditches-mobile/

 interesting.  that's perhaps not surprising, sadly.  TI has a superb
DSP which complements an ARM SoC, but they've never really been able
to get full value out of it.  TI serves military, radar and other
scientific communities, who get really good support *but*
unfortunately that all comes at a price.

 but there's more.  when i spoke to TI, it turned out that the
OMAP44xx series was under BXPA Export Regulations, i.e. the series is
classified - believe it or not - as a bloody weapon of war!  which is
just insane, given that there are dozens of cheaper bits of hardware
that are better than OMAP44xx on price-performance.

 compared to say a chinese company that pushes out a
"no-documentation" GPL-violating SoC *and* governments putting
restrictions on whom they can sell to, TI really can't compete.  this
is really annoying.  a company that does the right thing gets shat on.

 argh.  this is bad.  *ponders*.  thoughts anyone?