[Arm-netbook] Linus wingeing about ARM

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 09:44:26 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 09:38:10AM +0200, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> fre 2012-10-12 klockan 07:58 +0100 skrev luke.leighton:
>
> >  wishing that to happen does not make it happen, especially when SoC
> > vendors do not communicate with upstream and repeatedly copy rather
> > than consolidate.
>
> There is a shift taking place there as well, with most major SoC vendors
> actively working on getting things mainline, some even before cunsumer
> release.

Maybe this is something that Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross can talk about when
he meets an ARM Senior manager. He said that he did not have a lot of time but
it can be reduced to a simple meme along the lines:

    Encourage your licensees to keep their Cortex designs built in a way that
    helps software people (like the Linux kernel) reuse as much code across all
    of your licensees chips. This will reduce bugs, speed development and so
    reduce costs. Maybe ARM could have an engineer or two help coordinate
    licensees.

    If software is more compatible across licesees it should lead to greater use
    of ARM chips.

The technical details probably dont matter when speaking to the manager, but it
would help if they could be described on 1 side of A4.

(See email thread Subject: I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager

    http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2012-October/005795.html

)

--
Alain Williams