[Arm-netbook] Crowd Sourcing Proposal

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:15:03 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 06:21 PM, Alejandro Mery wrote:
>> On 10/10/12 19:11, luke.leighton wrote:
>>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Peter Steenbergen

>>>    well... is that really true?  there's (at least) 3 groups here.
>>> developers (350 people on arm-netbook), intelligent-eco-conscious
>>> people (N people), and "everyone else" (i hesitate to use "the
>>> masses").
>>
>> even if you focus in developers and so called intelligent-eco-conscious
>> people you need to make an attractive proposal for something that can be
>> used from the start for something beside collecting dust.
>
> +1
>
> This is an important point. The vast majority of developers don't
> develop for the sake of development - they develop because they need
> something done.
>
> An EOMA module on it's own isn't particularly useful without an actual
> useful chassis to plug it into. Without at least one chassis type being
> readily available you don't actually have a product - you have a
> _component_.

 the micro engineering board is easy to get done, and would likely be
saleable for $10.   the mini engineering board, having things like an
LVDS converter IC, WIFI module, USB Hub and so on starts to get up to
$20 on its own, and, apart from the LVDS converter IC, really isn't
anything more than what someone can achieve with an off-the-shelf USB
hub and off-the-shelf retail WIFI USB dongle.

thoughts?