[Arm-netbook] Crowd Sourcing Proposal

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:11:35 BST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Peter Steenbergen

>>  well... is that really true?  there's (at least) 3 groups here.
>> developers (350 people on arm-netbook), intelligent-eco-conscious
>> people (N people), and "everyone else" (i hesitate to use "the
>> masses").
>>
>>  the target for the crowd-funding is therefore the combination of the
>> two groups.  hmmm...
>>
> Don't get me wrong, I am by no means an expert, but ...
>
> The 350 subscribed are not an indication of the people willing to
> participate. Sorry, but I really think the majority of subscribers are just
> readers that want to be one of the first, something new pops up.
>
> Once again, I am not a marketing expert, but I really agree with Alejandro;
> The EOMA concept is not enough for a succesful crowd funding campaign. An
> EOMA card with a bare minimum extension might do it, but only if the price
> it competitive.

 well, that can't happen.  we're not selling a "competitor to
single-board devices".  competitive pricing can happen when
mass-volume quantities are achieved.  and a crowd-sourced funded
project will not reach mass-volume (million+) units.

 we need a strategy to bootstrap up to that point.  one that is
profitable, as well, and easy to achieve.

> You are really better of using the laptop or tablet concept for the
> marketing strategy as where the EOMA card "hops along". A tablet/laptop of
> where you just update the card to upgrade sell a whole lot better than only
> the card on it self.

 ok.  we have MTU university who offered to do a laptop design.
costing this kind of thing out however is going to take time, and, if
it's part of the project, will delay getting the EOMA-68 card itself
made up.

 we need a strategy that gets the CPU Card successfully made up.

> It is also a market which is unique, where with the right social media
> hyping could generate a succesful campaign.

 yes.