[Arm-netbook] so where does ULP-COM fit into our thinking?

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Tue Oct 9 18:47:28 BST 2012

On 10/09/2012 05:24 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> http://blogs.arm.com/embedded/702-i-like-pc-like-arm-reaches-into-computer-on-module/

It's already not relevant to us as it's has the same limitations that
other standards like it share(*). That limitation is the ability for a
non-technical user to re-allocate or reuse their already purchased
computing power.

Luke did a reasonable job on IRC of explaining that and the choice of a
PCMICA-like card format which I've pulled together for convenience here.

http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2012-October/005796.html
From: http://ibot.rikers.org/%23arm-netbook/20120929.html.gz @ 18:57.53
(slightly reformated)

penguin42:
" OK, but why do you want EOMA to be installed/removed more often - I
want to understand why granny would want to do this? "

lkcl:
" SO-DIMM sockets have a lifecycle of about .... something like 25
cycles *total*. Maybe not Granny but a professional who has an
EOMA-68-compliant Digital SLR Camera, as well as an EOMA-68-compliant
smartphone, tablet, laptop, and 30in LCD monitor at work and a games
console at home. They might end up inserting/removing their EOMA-68 CPU
Cards up to 10 times a *day*
The potential here is *huge*.  it covers virtually every mass-volume
electronics system you can think of, in the world. With the exception of
the hard-core gaming industry, the high-end server market, high-end /
real-time video editing industry and ... err... i run out of examples
where EOMA-68 could not be used.  oh yeah: portable watches :)"

(*): Some listed here:
http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture

--
Scott Sullivan