[Arm-netbook] Cross-compiling an armhf kernel package on Debian amd64?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Tue Oct 9 14:03:57 BST 2012

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:59:09 +0000
Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 02:18:29PM +0600, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:35:53 +0600
> > Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone please point me to a good howto on cross-compiling and creating an
> > > armhf kernel package on Debian amd64?
> >
> > Here is that HOWTO I was looking for, apparently no one bothered to spend 5
> > minutes to help, so I had to discover things by trial and error and decided to
> > write one myself. http://romanrm.ru/en/a10/cross-compile-kernel
>
> 1. gcc 4.4? Really? You have newer toolchans there.

$ apt-cache search gcc arm
cpp-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi - The GNU C preprocessor
cpp-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi - The GNU C preprocessor
gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi - The GNU C compiler
gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi - The GNU C compiler
gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
gcc-4.4-base-armel-cross - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package) (for cross-compiling)
libgcc1-armel-cross - GCC support library (for cross-compiling)
libgcc1-dbg-armel-cross - GCC support library (debug symbols)

> 2. kernel-package is not well-maintianed. Your best bet is on 'make
> deb-pkg' in th kernl source tree.
>
> You'd still need to set some environment variables there. I use:
>
>   KBUILD_DEBARCH=armhf make ARCH=arm KBUILD_IMAGE=uImage deb-pkg

Thanks, I will probably try that; however I am using kernel-package for a very
long time to build mipsel (Loongson) and amd64 kernels, with no major problems.

--
With respect,
Roman

"Stallman had a printer,