[Arm-netbook] FPGA and Bitcoin Mining

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Oct 9 10:41:19 BST 2012

On 10/08/2012 06:26 PM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
> I know that's what promoted me to post my prev post. I should have said.
> Don't know if this has been discussed:
>
> I think based on my chatting and just being there at the bitcoin2012
> conference. There's money to be made form Bitcoin miners who might put
> up a lot of money for funding. :). They live off mining. It's there income.

 From what I can tell, the days of legal bitcoin mining being profitable
are gone and aren't coming back.

The most efficient (in terms of KWh/bitcoin) crunchers cost on average
more in electricity costs than the value of bitcoins they manage to mine
- and that's assuming you get the hardware for free. The break even
point was surpassed about 2 years ago. I'd be very surprised if you
managed to get back above the curve with a FPGA.

Gordan