[Arm-netbook] I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:45:02 BST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
<arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
> Hmm need to refine my wording of my thinking so it is clear.

 nono, i was just speculating.  apologies.

> Here is what I was thinking:
> Actually I was thing of the history. Neg first then any positives ,if
> there are any.

 i haven't been able to find any.  mostly because this is such a
chaotic dis-jointed but also *recent* phenomenon, but also because..
well... why should anyone care to even put the pieces of the puzzle
together?

 i certainly wouldn't have bothered, if i didn't care about free
software, the environment etc. all rolled into one.

> By good I mean good quality reading/writings not the rubbish most so
> call "journalists" pump out.

 :)

> A good example is the writings by yea FSF.

 unf.  ok.  here's the situation.  summary: it's below everyone's
radar, but here's the details:

 * linux kernel developers have their heads down, focussing on
improving linux.  they do *not* get to talk to Fabless Semiconductor
Companies.  it's not their "job" to talk to Fabless Semi's, it's their
"job" to write linux kernel code.
 * multiple independent Fabless Semiconductor Companies have their
heads down, designing ICs.  they do *not* get to talk to Linux Kernel
developers.  they certainly do not get to talk to their competitors.
if any hardware IC design engineertried to talk about how there's a
problem with the linux kernel source code, and how there isn't a BIOS
in the ARM world, they'd get fired or demoted.
 * the FSF doesn't have the resources to cover this situation.
 * other Free Software Foundations are focussed on... well...
software, not hardware.
 * very few people have even the technical skills to recognise that
there's even a problem that needs to be addressed.
 * journalists *certainly* haven't the capability to comprehend that
there's a problem, let alone write it up.

so there's absolutely no communication, no incentive *to* communicate,
plenty of incentive *NOT* to communicate; nobody's identifying that
there's a problem of communication; it's too complex for them to
comprehend; it's too complex for people to even begin to see how the
solution (EOMA) links to the problem!

bottom line is: you won't find any articles, because journalists don't
understand the problem.  you won't find any blogs by the "respected"
free software leaders, because blogs get peoples' attention if the
people saying something are "respected" in the first place, and apart
from anything, the majority of free software leaders are focussed on
*their* bit of software, right in front of them.

 they're certainly not employed by anyone, nor is their foundation
behind them, or otherwise have a good reason or incentive to focus on
"why it is that ARM has no BIOS and why the whole shebang is such a
mess".

 it's only someone like me, basically, who is... how-to-say... an
attention-deficit asperger's-style "wandering mind" who gets kicked
out of free software forums for being too intelligent (and thus
threatening to the status quo leadership) who can put 2 and 2 together
*and* care that the answer's not exactly 5, you see what i'm saying?

 the short version: nobody else cares! :)

 does that help explain why you're unlikely to find anyone else
writing about this?