[Arm-netbook] I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Oct 8 15:04:00 BST 2012

On 10/08/2012 02:31 PM, luke.leighton wrote:

>   ... except of course that means that if every ARM SoC vendor does the
> exact same thing, you have the dog's dinner situation where linus
> torvalds, on calling a meeting of all the Architecture Teams, looks at
> the assembled masses, and says "over half of you are for ARM CPUs.
> why are you all here!  get yourselves organised!  go away and next
> time send only one representative!" which should tell you everything
> you need to know about how linus completely fails to understand how
> ARM CPUs are made and why the situation is such a mess at the
> device-driver level.

I don't think Linus fails to understand it at all. I suspect he
understands it perfectly - he just refuses to entertain it. And IMO he's
right.

If the SoC manufacturers want the community to entertain their
proprietary SoCs in a concerted fashion, they should be prepared to talk
to each other and come up with at least some kind of a agreement on a
common bootstrapping standard.

Gordan