[Arm-netbook] I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross arm-netbook at aross.me
Mon Oct 8 01:47:48 BST 2012

On 07/10/12 21:31, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> You wrote:
>> If I meet him would you have any thing you would like me to talk about?
>> Whatever you want is of interest to me. I am a hardware newbie BTW.
>>
>> He is one of the 7 chaps from the early days of ARM.
>
> I would stress that the lack of something like the BIOS is the biggest
> factor holding back ARM for general Linux use. They need to standardise
> the boot mechanism so that any fool can install their choice of Linux
> distribution by just putting a memory stick or whatever in to basically
> any ARM device. Currently, the only realistic option for any normal person
> buying an ARM device is to stick with the OS it came with, whether that
> is WebOS, Maemo, Android or WinCE. In the x86 world, you install what
> you like and upgrades are no problem.
>
> Oliver

Hang on ARM stuff does not have a BOIS. They don't need one. They have a
boot thingly like uboot which I believe is (100%) free software. The
description of the problem sounds like you mean the evil
proprietary,non-free drivers and firmware.

Forwarding this email to the mailing list. Remember to click "Reply
List" :). I forget too.