[Arm-netbook] Group Buy: 7" Tablet

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 7 19:42:56 BST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Derek LaHousse wrote:
> > http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread785241/pg1
> >
> >  bloody hellfire.
> There are many details missing from this story.  In fact, it has all the
> authenticity of "I heard from a guy who said his brother's wife's
> aunt..."

Derek, you are correct about the main story of the thread. I quoted from
the comments as often I learn more from comments than the initial
thread. If the comments do not offer substantiating links, I conduct
research. Reading comments offers clues on what to research. In today's
reply, I listed two articles on manufacturers designing CMOS stronger
which substantiates the comments that I quoted. Much of the new high
tech methods of surveillance are not completely described in easy to
find articles.

Derek LaHousse wrote:
> >Let's provide good input on a desired laptop to that university, eh?

I support Derek's recommendation. Considering:

(1) Windows 8 UEFI and TPM blocking linux installation on PCs;

(2) the unfortunate demise of netbooks due to competition with tablets.
Netbooks are fantastic;

(3) lack of linux distros for tablets (one reason I didn't purchase a
MIPS tablet is there is no linux distro written for it);

(4) tablets being treated like cell phones (unremovable batteries,
stronger CMOS battery, no USB ports, no micro SD card slot (forcing
users to give up ownership of
all their files they upload to cloud servers), soldered GPS, 3G, wifi
and bluetooth);

linux users will have more need for a linux laptop than a tablet.

Yet, I am willing to place an order for two tablets if the battery or
batteries (since Derek wants two) are removable, tablet can easily be
opened up and the rest of my requirements that I previously listed.
Since the university is interested in an open hardware project, they
need to understand that unremovable batteries, GPS, 4G, wifi and
bluetooth renders the device closed and a privacy risk and why it does.