[Arm-netbook] Ask him for Android DDK (Was: I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager)

Christophe Devine christophe.devine1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 19:32:31 BST 2012

Hi Luke,

Android is completely out-of-control, with multiple SoC designers
> whose first language isn't English taking GPL Linux kernel source code
> and creating binary-only OSes *without* giving even the ODMs and
> certainly not giving the Factories access to the source code.

The situation regarding the Linux kernel is not so bad. Both ZTE and Huawei
are entering the Android smartphone market, and they have already released
the GPL kernel source code for a couple models. See for instance
http://supporthk.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1002402 and
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDU5NTk=

The problem really lies in the user-space libraries. I'm unsure EOMA-68
will help a lot unless you find vendors willing to provide documentation to
create Free & open-source drivers. 3D, GPS, modem, etc. all require blobs
regardless of the vendor and are black boxes.

Christophe