[Arm-netbook] Ask him for Android DDK (Was: I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager)

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sun Oct 7 13:45:01 BST 2012

On 10/07/2012 12:43 PM, luke.leighton wrote:

> i think, therefore, that efforts would be better spent running Android
> as a Virtual OS within kvm or other Virtual Machine, on CPUs that have
> virtual machine support (ARM Cortex A9 and above).

That would be a truly awful solution. Full virtualization is
_expensive_. Have a look here for my findings on that:

http://www.altechnative.net/2012/08/04/virtual-performance-part-1-vmware/

To summarize:

1) Fastest (or least slow, depending on how you want to look at it)
hypervisor is Xen.

2) The penalty, with full hardware virtualization support on a task that
is _purely_ CPU and memory I/O limited (no disk/network I/O at all), is
21%, assuming you use the best performing hypervisor. It gets worse from
there (see the figures in the article).

For something like what you are describing, the only sane option is
using something like Linux Vserver (or LXC or OpenVZ, although Vserver
has some unique advantages). Chroot type virtualization comes with
negligible overheads, unlike a full fat hypervisor which would cause
overheads very unlikely to be acceptable in the power/performance
envelope that the ARM devices are targeting.

Gordan