[Arm-netbook] Use of 2N3904

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:01:30 GMT 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

>> I would use a standard open hardware license, or creative commons.

 no chance - absolutely none - of using creative commons or any such
"oh yehhh let's give everything away for freeee, we'll get rewarded in
heaveen" license.

 if there's to be any license used it will be one with some bite.

> I am inclined to believe you because the AGPL is worded for web services
> which is why I am so confused over it being applied to schematics.

 yeah i hadn't thought it through.

> If I release under GPL and creative commons, I am assuming it works
> to protect everyone downstream.

 creative commons is about as helpful as a bucket of cold water.  ok,
there's a few circumstances where a bucket of cold water is actually
quite helpful... :)

>  But if it doesn't then I'll go with
> whatever is best. Luke, that is cue for you to tell us how
> the AGPL is better than GPL/creative commons, or what the deficiencies
> of GPL/creative commons might be say 5 years down the road
> for all the contributors such that they might want to switch to the
> AGPL.

 well the two are compatible (GPL and AGPL) so you can use one with
the other, which is good.

 my take on this is that licenses wrt hardware are all a bit weird
anyway - there's a disconnect - which makes them kinda moot.

 anyway - justin, you're right, i'll contact the FSF, see what the view is.