[Arm-netbook] AM389x EOMA-68 CPU Card

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:30:36 GMT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Neal Peacock <neal at nic-stix.com> wrote:

> I'm going to a TI tech day this week about porting u-boot for a custom
> board with a Sitara processor.

 great!  if you happen to see anyone from Mistral, or if you meet
Gerald from the Beagleboard Team do say hi :)

> I'll check with them then post up whatever they hand out if its not
> commonly available.  If anyone has an questions or anything they might
> have some engineers on hand and I can get answers.

 yes - tell them we want the OMAP5!!

> This processor seems like a good fit to me especially with the open
> design files.  I don't have access to orcad anymore but I noticed they
> have the board files as well.

 yeeeees. good eh? :)

>  Would it be possible to take their routed
> design and just strip out the routing to the unused features but keep
> the difficult routing for the ram?

 mmmm.... probably not.  the reasons are two-fold.  firstly, the RAM
ICs they've picked look like they are USA-based (or, at least, "not
china").  we don't care about that: we care about price.

 secondly, i decided (ok it's still not final) to go with x16 RAM ICs
not x8 ones, putting two each onto each of the two 32-bit-wide DDR3
memory interfaces.

 in this way, it will be possible to have 2gbytes of 1066mhz DDR3 RAM,
absolutely *screaming* along at 64-bits wide.  hilarious, given that
the CPU's only 1.2ghz (ok the 1.5ghz version is available, but for $15
more, eek!)

> I was thinking it might be a quick way to get a board drawn up for this
> processor.  Any thoughts?

 yeah i would love to, but... *shrugs*.  mistral are good.  they'll cope :)