[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue May 29 16:20:20 BST 2012

On 05/29/2012 04:06 PM, Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX LTD wrote:
>> That's debatable. The chances are that those that want to use it will
>> plug in an uSD card and leave it there. In that state I wouldn't imagine
>> reliability would be negatively impacted. I've never actually seen a uSD
>> slot fail, and I have had a lot of devices with such slots for a number
>> of years.
>
> ok, it was my guess
>
>> Plus if you do use it heavily, flash wears out - at least uSD card is
>> replaceable.
>
> sure, it's good to have replacable Flash
>
>> The only thing coming out of the chassis is ethernet and power. Console
>> access is over ethernet to a serial switch (built into the blade chassis).
>
> ok,
>
> so if I got it corectly, board which is useble for server applications will
> be with:
>
> 1. as much RAM as possible (1-2GB)
> 2. SD-card no need for internal NAND to lower the price
> 3. 100Mbit Ethernet
> 4. 2 USB hosts

Only if it's *TX form factor. If it's a blade type arrangement you don't
need USB at all.

> 5. SATA
> 6. +5V power supply with standard connector for motherboard power supply

I would say a standard DC round plug would be better for a *TX
motherboard. You wouldn't want an 80-100W PSU (with a fan in it) to
drive a 10W motherboard. You'd be better off with a 15W laptop power
brick type power supply. Unless you plan to run a lot of power-heavy
hardware on it (e.g. a pile of disks in a NAS, but that gets complicated
because we don't even know the compatibility of A10's SATA
implementation with SATA port replicators).

> 7. Nano-ITX 120x120 mm size or Pico-ITX 100x72 mm format

The smaller the better, obviously - it's just a question whether all the
connectors will fit.

Gordan