[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Tue May 29 16:18:21 BST 2012

On 29/05/12 16:23, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 03:05 PM, Enrico wrote:
>> My take on the specs:
>>
>> - as much as possible ram
>> - 512 MB flash (not more, if you need more space you have sata)
>
> Why not do away with flash completely and put a uSD slot on instead of
> the flash?

uSD is great, specially in allwinner based devices because it gives the
unbrickability and for updating or making backups, but for the rootfs an
small NAND is unbeatable and far more reliable in harsh envs.

>> - video out could be useful, but not a must, definitely low priority
>   >
>> - serial connector for debug (not a "full" connector, just a header on the pcb)
>
> What's wrong with serial console/JTAG combo over micro/mini USB a-la
> SheevaPlug? That replaces both the need for video out and separate
> serial and JTAG.

leaving the mini-USB for OTG/gadget is imho far more useful than jtag in
this context. serial console is essential but you don't need to give it
prime access, 4 pins on the inside for a ttl adapter and you are done.

>> - size: i think you should focus on the board, and let other think
>> about integration in 1U cases etc...so i would suggest as small as
>> possible, to fit say 10 boards inside a single 1U.
>
> That means a custom chassis. If you want it to be usable in an off the
> shelf chassis, a *TX solution is the way forward.

in the cases of off-the-shelf chassis, what about a MiniITX dumb to
connect up to 4 A10 standalone server boards? :)   In my case I would
love to have an A10-server board inside a DIN rail case.