[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue May 29 16:00:04 BST 2012

On 05/29/2012 03:41 PM, Antony Antony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A Gigabit Ethernet would be nice, even better two NICs like the Dreamplug.
> I use a Dreamplug as a server/firewall/router. It run a small webserver, Asterisk, DNS Server, ftp (where network scanners copy files), and mail forwarding. It is quite. I am told they do well as a IPSEec gateway too.

If you use AES, you can use hardware offload for it. It makes quite a
difference on a Kirkwood.

> If you have GigE it is easy to run tcpdump @200-300 Mbps. When you pick a WiFi chip please pick something with a decent linux support; including support for AP/Master.

I think USB wifi module would be best. Certification for such things is
expensive.

> So I am looking for a powerful network router, something between TP Link WR-703 and Dreamplug.

How powerful do you actually need it to be, though? Better than a
WRT54G? Have you looked at routerboard or "unify ap"?

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

> Two USB host ports, SATA, and a few GPIOs would be nice to have. In that order.

For a server, SATA would be pretty vital. GPIO is something for embedded
dev kits.

Gordan