[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue May 29 15:52:10 BST 2012

On 05/29/2012 03:40 PM, Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX LTD wrote:
>>> - as much as possible ram
>>> - 512 MB flash (not more, if you need more space you have sata)
>>
>> Why not do away with flash completely and put a uSD slot on instead of
>> the flash?
>
> SD-card have mechanical movable parts, it'r reliability may decrease with
> time due to moisture, dust etc. having 4GB NAND flash on board will be much
> more reliable than SD card on socket

That's debatable. The chances are that those that want to use it will
plug in an uSD card and leave it there. In that state I wouldn't imagine
reliability would be negatively impacted. I've never actually seen a uSD
slot fail, and I have had a lot of devices with such slots for a number
of years.

Plus if you do use it heavily, flash wears out - at least uSD card is
replaceable.

>> What's wrong with serial console/JTAG combo over micro/mini USB a-la
>> SheevaPlug? That replaces both the need for video out and separate
>> serial and JTAG.
>
> this is simple and nice solution
>
>> If you are going for density, then you might as well go to the logical
>> conclusion with EOMA "blades" and cram 40 or so into 1U. And that will
>> still leave you plenty of space for an internal ethernet switch,
>> internal serial switch (for console access), some 2.5" SATA bays (maybe
>> with a "NAS node"), maybe even an internal UPS.
>
> but how then the USB will be bring on from of the rack in this case?
> extension cables?

Not at all. You don't need USB to come out of the chassis. You
ssh/telnet to the serial console switch, (a-la Lantronix) and from there
connect to whichever node's console you want.

The only thing coming out of the chassis is ethernet and power. Console
access is over ethernet to a serial switch (built into the blade chassis).

For extra points you could even have an optional PSU model that has
ethernet-over-power capability so if you don't need more than 500Mbit/s
on the uplink, you could have only one cable go into the chassis
(power). This would work fine if the UPS is internal. :)

Gordan