[Arm-netbook] 75USD A10 android USB key

krasi gichev krasimirr at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:04:10 BST 2012

If $49 is comparable to the offer from merimobiles (with free worldwide
post) it will be interesting. As long as it has:
- USB HOST for storage and HID devices like kbd and mouse, nice if have 2 x
USB host ...
- microSD slot would be nice addition too;
- Embedded Wifi, or (I prefer) 10/100 LAN;
- (optional) BT will be also interesting, or some king of embedded remote
control interface (IR) maybe - this device will definately need connection
with keyboard and/or mouse, so have only one USB host is limiting; I know
that some of the USB wifi modules used in A10 tablets are combo (having
both b/g/n and BT capabilities) so it should be easy to design; Software
side of the BT support is kind of unclear to me;
Some king of extension interfaces, even like test points on the PCB, will
be appreciated - probably UART, SPI, I2C, several GPIOs;
As I already mentioned, I believe that if somebody sells simple PCB module
or generic, low cost, extensible PCB, it will have great demand - You can
see how much heat Olinuxino is generating. Even if the size is double, I
don't care. I can live with b/g/n network, it makes no sense to add
Ethernet PHY and huge connector, and than to plug cables and run them down
the house. I (and many others) already have wifi coverage in kitchen,
bathroom, living room, garage, garden, etc.
You know Arduino (and whole ecosystem / clones). In fact one can't even set
a LED without adding wire on breadboard. But in modern world it is up to
reading one simple, colored schematic on the web to make proper
connections. And many do this without any knowledge in electronics.
At the end, my point is that I will love to spend $49 (multiple 5-10
pieces) for a device that has the features of A10, but letting me expand it
with sensors, GPIOs and so on. How about EOMA - you still need baseboard
with PCMCIA connector to use it. How about having this connection on pcb
test points, probably on the edge of the card. (yes, I know, signal
integrity, but some guys are connecting SATA 1.5Gbits signals over spread
wires of 20cm while modding IBM laptops). It might not be
production-quality but I can live with it.
Also, adding connectors or components can be left for advanced users. If
your sell boards with some unpopulated connectors (like HDMI, SATA, UART,
GPIO, SPI, I2C ...) I can benefit from saving the cost of the connector..
You still can use the same board for the production stick (yep, it will
increase the cost of the bare PCB because of the size). Not sure how much
will it cost to enlarge one of the sides of the board with one dual-in-line
connector, or even only traces to solder wires or connector,  with, let's
say, 20 pins. Probably $1? Why not?
It would be nice if one can find cheap, high density connector that can
lead out multiple signals (like PCMCIA one in the EOMA). I know A10 can
remap a lot of functions over same GPIO, so it could be used too.
Mele is being popular because they have routed a lot of pins and interfaces
that general user will never take. But even only having UART footprint is
enough to grab my attention.
I have asked Allwinner and Wits about CPU module with A10, DRAM, FLASH and
so on. Up to now (communication is really slow) I only know that such
module exists, but without the AXP209. I even have price for it, but I
cannot get simple product brief or datasheet. I hope to receive them this
week, but if somebody knows anything more about this mistic CPU module,
please share.