[Arm-netbook] R-Pi Only Better and More Available?

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Sun May 27 23:35:44 BST 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe an open hardware COM platform
> > that is steered by the community vs under the guise of community, free
> > from patents, hidden agendas, personal issues, etc etc
>
>  that would be nice.  we'll get there.  we have to make some money
> though, unless there's people willing to start from an open hardware
> COM platform steered by the community and *funded* by the community.

Thats what I originally thought this project was going to be, until I
discovered that there was an undisclosed patent and the project had to make
sure that everything produced fell under that patent so an undisclosed fee
could be charged.

There are several problems with this, one of which is that it is unlikely
to raise enough money at the right time, one of which is that it means that
I am reluctant to fund the project, which I would otherwise have been happy
to do, another was the lack of disclosure until very late on. Plus it makes
for a very them and us divide in the community.

So yes, there are people willing to help fund an actual community project,
I do not think I am alone.

Justin