[Arm-netbook] Another Interesting Tegra2 Board

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed May 23 16:41:27 BST 2012

On 05/23/2012 04:28 PM, Bari Ari wrote:
> On 05/23/2012 09:28 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Coming soon, they say:
>>
>> http://uk.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+sbc/pitx+25+sbc/ktt20pitx.html
>>
>> No mention of RAM size, but given it's Tegra2 it will be<= 1GB.
>>
>> Gordan
>>

> Embedded vendors like Advantech, Kontron etc. consider 5,000 pcs to be
> giant. They would just try to sell me a design vs supply the boards in
> higher volumes.  I don't expect pricing to be attractive to the consumer
> market. Let's see if it even ends up under $200.

You're seriously putting me off just by mentioning Advantech. I bullshit
you not, when I queried why they didn't implement CPU core voltage
scaling (part of Intel Enhanced Speed Step spec) on an Atom N450 board I
bought (tested by the fact that power draw doesn't change when you
change the VID at full speed between minimum and maximum - and it also
doesn't de-stabilize) I was told it wasn't implemented because it is an
"overclocking feature". Not to mention other gems such as options in
BIOS that don't actually do anything:

1) There is an FSB toggle between 667 and 800MHz, and regardless of what
you set, it always runs at 667MHz.

2) There are options to set the RAM timings manually, but whatever you
set them to, it will always use the settings it reads out of the SPD on
the DIMM.

Of course if you don't test these things, you are likely to assume it
just did what you told it to.

Did they concede they screwed up and offer a refund? Of course not.

If I never hear of them again it will be too soon. Not to mention that
the motherboards were substantially overpriced to begin with (no - you
don't get anywhere near what you pay for).

</rant>

Gordan