[Arm-netbook] Trouble booting kernel on A1000, amery config settings

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Mon May 21 11:22:14 BST 2012

On 21/05/12 02:39, Barry Kauler wrote:
>>> Now for my problem. The kernel will not boot. I get uart output coming
>>> to my 'microcom' program, up to:
>>>
>>> reading uImage
>>>
>>> ...and that's it, nothing else happens.
>
> The kernel was booting. The problem was the uart-to-usb converter. I
> reported recently that it was hanging using Gtkterm, someone
> recommended use minicom. Well, I changed to microcom, same hanging
> problem. I dropped the baud rate to 9600, still hangs.
>
> I might try a different serial-to-usb converter, as I have done this
> before successfully on a different board entirely (using Gtkterm and
> Cutecom). So the problem is not my laptop, it is something in the
> converter or the Mele board.

tried swapping the Tx and Rx wires?

>> wait a second, please stop calling it *my* default .config or *my*,
>> it's the sun4i_defconfig (or sun4i_crane_defconfig) that came on the
>> source drop released by Qware from allwinner.
>
> I got pulled up before, for referring to "Tom's Ubuntu SD image". I
> was asked to reword it to something like "the Ubuntu SD image uploaded
> by Tom".
>
> Alright, so I will try to refer to the default .config that we are
> discussing indirectly, something like "the sun4i_defconfig hosted by
> amery at github" or whatever.

the thing is that it's not mine, it's ours, and it's up to all of us to
make it better :) I only happen to be hosting the repo...

> Anyway, I can now successfully build that kernel, but cannot get X
> running. It complains that /dev/fb0 is not available.

do you have lcd/hdmi modules loaded?

> The "Ubuntu SD
> image uploaded by Tom" has the only kernel (I have) for which X works
> -- I noted that kernel does not have disp.ko or hdmi.ko so I presumed
> they are builtin, so I tried that with the amery source (excuse me!),
> no go. I built the kernel with fbcon enabled, still no go.

fbcon is not supported, fb is. X11 is still work in progress, but never
tried it on my own yet. I believe they are more focused in getting
X11/mali than X11/fb

> Also, with the kernel built from the "sun4i_defconfig hosted by amery
> at github", SATA is still not recognised. Do I have to turn something
> on somewhere?

`CONFIG_SW_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM` enabled? It is enabled by default since
2012-05-19 (a70a1e0c)

> A change required in evb.bin?

try the stock script.bin instead. zenitraM was diffing them to hunt some
problems, but not sure what was the result.