[Arm-netbook] Trouble booting kernel on A1000, amery config settings

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Sun May 20 22:16:34 BST 2012

Hi,

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Barry Kauler <bkauler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Firstly, a small note: the "Hacking the Mele A1000" page has an
> incorrect statement, that the picture showing the gnd-rx-tx pins for
> the uart are wrong. Actually, the picture is correct, and I have added
> a correction note to the page:

it's a wiki, it's intended for people to improve it. otoh adding
correction notes is not as good as actually fixing the content.

> I have compiled amery's lastest 3.0.31 kernel, and it went through ok.
> But, had some issues:
>
> There was a typo in scripts/build_sun4i.sh, the line starting
> "LICHEE_MOD_DIR==" has a double-equal characters, should be only one
> equal char.

thanks, I've fixed the typo now. but as my namesake mentioned unless
you are building android use the standard procedure for building linux
kernels, i.e. calling `make` yourself.

> Also, I don't have the 'mkbootimg' so commented that out -- perhaps
> the script should test for it's existence.

ignore the script, it's only of use for those building android, and
they have `mkbootimg`, ... but you can file an ticket in the issue
tracker to discuss the topic (and maybe even improve those scripts ;-)

> It then goes through ok. Except the last compile:
>
> #build usi-bmc4329 sdio wifi module
>        make -C modules/wifi/usi-bcm4329/v4.218.248.15/open-src/src/dhd/linux \
>                        CROSS_COMPILE=${CROSS_COMPILE} ARCH=arm LINUXVER=${KERNEL_VERSION} \
>                        LICHEE_MOD_DIR=${LICHEE_MOD_DIR} LINUXDIR=${LICHEE_KDIR}
> CONFIG_CHIP_ID=${CONFIG_CHIP_ID} \
>                        INSTALL_DIR=${LICHEE_MOD_DIR} dhd-cdc-sdmmc-gpl
>
> ...fails.

fixed.

> Now for my problem. The kernel will not boot. I get uart output coming
> to my 'microcom' program, up to:
>
> reading uImage
>
> ...and that's it, nothing else happens.

did you preload script.bin?

> Oh yes, one request. Amery's default config has Squashfs filesystem
> not enabled. Enabled as a module or builtin would be great. It has
> some options, that should also be enabled, but I think there is one
> option for "memory constrained systems" that I don't think needs to be
> enabled.
>
> Um, while I am on this topic, amery's default .config does have some
> other things turned off, that I think should be enabled for all kernel
> builds:

wait a second, please stop calling it *my* default .config or *my*,
it's the sun4i_defconfig (or sun4i_crane_defconfig) that came on the
source drop released by Qware from allwinner.

> input: mice: enable other ps/2 options,
> alsa: turn on: sequencer, oss mixer, oss pcm, oss sequencer api (as modules),
> usb support: turn on: usb modem, usb printer, usb serial converter
> (generic driver at least) (as modules),
> filesystems: reiserfs, squashfs (builtin or modules)

keeping in mind it's a generic kernel, send a patch ;-)