[Arm-netbook] policy for wiki and mailing list

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun May 20 16:25:49 BST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Carlos Balseiro
<myhateisblind at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> b) Make sure there is some resources to collect interesting information
>> and nudge people to update where appropriate. Some information
>> absolutely should go into wiki, but often requires some discussion
>> before.
>
> I think a bug tracking system can be confortable to use in the stuff being
> on the work, and when it is mature enough we can move it to the wiki. Just
> an idea.

 that defeats the object of the exercise, to keep the wiki as a means
for people to find things in a structured format on an ongoing basis.
an example of the correct usage of the wiki is to link the bugreport
on the wiki.

 for example here:
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/#index5h1

 in this way anyone who wants to use a mele a1000 as a server goes
"hmm, i see!  there's a bug!  i wonder what that's about?" *click* "oh
i see!  it's about how to increase the RAM, i know, i want to help
with that!"

 under the proposal that you have put, what would happen is that
NOBODY WOULD HELP YOU.  the reason that nobody would help you is
because they simply would never find the information. or the bug
report.

 so please get it *out* of your head that your ego is more important,
or that "ohhh deariee mee, i am sooo important that i must ONLY put
stuff on the wiki when it is ready or finished, because then iiii am
the one who does everything, making me the sole exclusive person
responsible for the work".

 the whole point of a community project is to make it easy for people
to find an area of interest and start immediately being a useful
productive contributor.

 if you only put the information on the wiki "once it is quotes mature
enough quotes" then you have just deprived people of that opportunity
to contribute.

 do you want to deprive people of the opportunity to contribute?

 do you want a policy in place which makes it harder for people to contribute?