[Arm-netbook] A10 3.0.8 kernel and Android 4.0.3 sources out

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Mon May 14 11:08:19 BST 2012

Hi,

El 14/05/12 03:57, lkcl luke escribió:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Alejandro Mery<amery at geeks.cl>  wrote:
>> l 12/05/12 23:17, Henrik Nordström escribió:

>>> Kernel tree have been pushed to github
>>>
>>> https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/tree/leak-lichee-3.0.8
>>
>> a little clarification about the related branches in that repo. (too
>> sleepy to write it on the wiki, and most people on this list doesn't
>> read it anyway,
>
>   alejandro, when you've a moment, less tired, please please put the
> information on the wiki, *then* post the message saying that you've
> put it on the wiki.
>
>   please DON'T assume that quotes nobody reads it quotes.

now a little clarification about that paragraph :)

first you cut out the "feel free to use this to improve the info in the
wiki)" bit which is important in context because there are other people
here who is familiar with rhombus-tech wiki and know the right places
for this info, I don't.

Dropping content in the wiki randomly does not help at all. and also the
statement was "most people *on this list* doesn't read it", people
searching for recipes and documentation of course does.

I know a ML is not a source for documentation, specially not this one
where all threads are broken, top-posting is sadly the norm and naive
replies come without having read the rest of the replies first.

but that exactly makes it a good place for a short clarification about
hot news, which are only relevant for a short time like that one, aimed
at people eager to get dirty in that exact moment, 3am on a Sunday.
Everyone else is likely to miss the mail in the crappy long thread
handling of webmails like gmail.

now for long term documentation the mentioned repository itself includes
a wiki page explaining the branches it contains. see:
https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/wiki

>   i cannot stress enough how vital it is to stop thinking "oh it's okay
> i'll just throw it out on the mailing list, everyone will find it"
> they bloody well won't ok?
>
>   i'll repeat it again.
>
>   MAILING LISTS ARE UNSTRUCTURED.

specially this one ;-)

>   WIKIS ARE STRUCTURED.

this one not much yet but I've seen people working on improving it, and
they are better suited than I do decide how and where to mention this
info, if at all. I don't like to drop content in a wiki which structure
I fail to understand.

>   there is no fucking way in hell in 6 months time that you, me or
> anyone but god almighty himself is going to find the information about
> what any of us are doing: there's just too much going on.

agree, that's why I added the branch explanation to the wiki of the repo
I was mentioning.

>   the only way that anyone is going to find anything is if they post on
> the mailing list, "hello i am looking for information about xyz" and
> YOU then have to post "oh yes i know the answer to that" and YOU then
> either have to:
>
>   a) do a google search for your OWN information!
>
>   b) post the information AGAIN.
>
>   repeat for the next person who asks.
>
>   then repeat for the next person who asks.
>
>   then repeat again for the next person who asks, again, and again, and again.
>
>   so please.
>
>   for the love of god.
>
>   will you PLEASE put the information on the wiki NOT on the mailing list.

for long term information and recipes, absolutely agree.