[Arm-netbook] Real size of Mele A1000 NAND

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri May 11 19:32:03 BST 2012

fre 2012-05-11 klockan 10:06 +0100 skrev David Given:

> The other option is to throw away the nand driver completely. Writing an
> mtdblock driver is way, way beyond me, but Linux already supports a
> bajillion flash chips already; I don't suppose the A1000's flash chip is
> already supported? What is it? The label is blurred and unreadable on
> mine, and is also blurred and unreadable on the scan on the wiki...

The type of flash chip is not a<n issue. MTD supports it.

On A10 there is a NAND flash controller offloading many operations and
providing DMA access to the NAND. I have pnly started to scratch on the
surface of this controller to see if we actually can get raw NAND access
including OOB enabling MTD to access the flash, then to see how to map
it to MTD.

This is a bit different, most MTD drivers are usign raw memory mapped
NAND access, not via some smart controller. Some other do DMA however so
it may be possible to map MTD access to the NAND controller.

Regards
Henrik