[Arm-netbook] Real size of Mele A1000 NAND

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri May 11 10:06:31 BST 2012

Tom Cubie wrote:
[...]
> i think so. reusing old code saves a lot. the short to market time makes
> everything remain the same. i want a better partition format, better
> firmware format, linux friendly flashing tools, but changing means risk.
> everything now is working fine. so nobody want to change.

Well, the block device layer is very small and very simple; it ought to
be relatively trivial to throw it away and replace it with a much
simpler block device layer that exposes a single big device and then
uses Linux's own partitioning. I might have a look at doing this
(although it's been a very long time since I've done kernel hacking).

The other option is to throw away the nand driver completely. Writing an
mtdblock driver is way, way beyond me, but Linux already supports a
bajillion flash chips already; I don't suppose the A1000's flash chip is
already supported? What is it? The label is blurred and unreadable on
mine, and is also blurred and unreadable on the scan on the wiki...

│ "Parents let children ride bicycles on the street. But parents do not
│ allow children to hear vulgar words. Therefore we can deduce that
│ cursing is more dangerous than being hit by a car." --- Scott Adams