[Arm-netbook] Selecting the right Soc for out ARM Notebook project.

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sat May 5 12:11:20 BST 2012

* krasi gichev (krasimirr at gmail.com) wrote:

> Newer iMX6 are tempting but too early to know much about them. I know

I think this is one of the other difficulties when picking SoCs; there are:

   * a whole pile of chips that are available now, and which there is good
      kernel support for.
   * a whole pile of announced chips that are due any day which sound nice,
     but don't yet have good kernel support and may still be under more NDA
     than the others.

If you use the 1st set you'll get something to work, but given how long
it takes to produce a system and get it out you'll end up with something
that's behind the curve by the time you've finished.
If you use the 2nd set you'll have more work to get it going and it's
more risky, but you might be competitive when it's out.

I'd also second the dislike for USB-ether; having real ether and
SATA on chip is one of the nice unusual features of the A10
and will make a heck of a lot of difference to usability.

Tricky.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /