[Arm-netbook] Mele A1000: SATA HD does not work

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Thu May 3 17:29:46 BST 2012

On 5/3/12, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:
>> Today I purchased a SATA laptop hard drive, however it is not
>> recognised. Nothing, total non-recognition of presence of the drive.
>
> it's a know issue in the script.bin included on that image... sata
> works fine with the stock script.bin

Alejandro,
Thanks for the reply. I am confused, lacking some background
knowledge. I have subscribed to the arm-netbook list recently, so
probably I missed some important facts.

It's this "script.bin" thing that I don't understand. A little while
ago, someone posted where to get script.bin, the "stock" one, and Tom
replied to get it out of the nand in the Mele.

...ok, but I haven't got a clue how to. My Ubuntu Linux that runs on
the Mele can't see it. I know virtually nothing about Android, don't
know if that can be used to read the nand f.s.

The second problem is that I don't understand what script.bin actually
does. This page explains that it is the same as evb.bin in that image:

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/a10_image/

...but it also says that using the stock evb.bin, X will crash.

Hmmm... could someone kindly just post me a evb.bin that I can put
into my skeleton SD card image, one that will recognise SATA,
ethernet, and not crash when X starts :)

I notice also, the a10_image page, mele_boot_part.cpio has mele.bin
and mele_stock.bin in it -- what is the difference between those two?
I tried both, it didn't seem to make any difference.

If anyone can help out, kindly email them to me, bkaulerATgmailDOTcom.

Regards,
Barry Kauler