[Arm-netbook] Skeleton SD image for Mele

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Thu May 3 10:47:37 BST 2012

On 03/05/2012 07:13, Barry Kauler wrote:
> Guys,
> I am porting Puppy Linux to run on the Mele A1000, have had
> preliminary success -- boot time from pressing power-on button to
> desktop loaded is about 18 seconds!
>
> Here is my blog post announcing the first successful bootup:
> http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02808
>
> See other posts for further details:
> http://bkhome.org/blog/
>
> The system that I use to build a Puppy is called "Woof". The way that
> I have set things up is there is a SD-card skeleton image, already
> setup to bootup for the target board. All that has to be done is add a
> kernel and the Linux filesystem -- plus of course the kernel modules
> and firmware in the filesystem.
>
> This seems like the easiest way for Woof to build for any target board
> (that will boot from SD card).
>
> Here is my skeleton image:
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/arm/sd-skeleton-images/
>
> This is just the SD image that Tom uploaded, with almost everything
> taken out. Now compresses to about 7MB.
>
> I have also created a PET package (the native package format of Puppy
> Linux) for the 3.0.8+ kernel, again it is the kernel that Tom
> uploaded:
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/arm/pet_packages-armv7/linux_kernel-3.0.8-mele-armv7.pet
>
> Note, PET packages are tarballs with md5sum appended. You can expand
> it by doing this:
> tar -zxf linux_kernel-3.0.8-mele-armv7.pet
> ...and ignore the error message. it will expand into directory
> 'linux_kernel-3.0.8-mele-armv7'.
>
> I have posted this for general information, but I also have a request...
>
> Maybe it is available online somewhere, but I don't recall. It there a
> compiled 2.6.36 kernel with modules and firmware uploaded anywhere?
> If so, I would like to download it and create another linux_kernel
> PET. Then my Woof build system will be able to choose either kernel
> when building Puppy.
>
> Regards,
> Barry Kauler
>
> P.S.
> Info about Woof:
> http://bkhome.org/woof/
> http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewCat=Woof
I'd like to mention that 3,999,998,976 bytes won't fit on any 4GB SD
card, as my "4GB" card only has 3,956,359,680 bytes.
It's still possible to use it, but if such a 4GB image is released, I
have to use fdisk to setup my card, format the partitions, extract the
different sections in the bin images (u-boot and kernel) and copy the
rootfs files manually the ext4 partition on the SD card.