[Arm-netbook] Skeleton SD image for Mele

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:13:28 BST 2012

Guys,
I am porting Puppy Linux to run on the Mele A1000, have had
preliminary success -- boot time from pressing power-on button to
desktop loaded is about 18 seconds!

Here is my blog post announcing the first successful bootup:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02808

See other posts for further details:
http://bkhome.org/blog/

The system that I use to build a Puppy is called "Woof". The way that
I have set things up is there is a SD-card skeleton image, already
setup to bootup for the target board. All that has to be done is add a
kernel and the Linux filesystem -- plus of course the kernel modules
and firmware in the filesystem.

This seems like the easiest way for Woof to build for any target board
(that will boot from SD card).

Here is my skeleton image:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/arm/sd-skeleton-images/

This is just the SD image that Tom uploaded, with almost everything
taken out. Now compresses to about 7MB.

I have also created a PET package (the native package format of Puppy
Linux) for the 3.0.8+ kernel, again it is the kernel that Tom
uploaded:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/arm/pet_packages-armv7/linux_kernel-3.0.8-mele-armv7.pet

Note, PET packages are tarballs with md5sum appended. You can expand
it by doing this:
tar -zxf linux_kernel-3.0.8-mele-armv7.pet
...and ignore the error message. it will expand into directory
'linux_kernel-3.0.8-mele-armv7'.

I have posted this for general information, but I also have a request...

Maybe it is available online somewhere, but I don't recall. It there a
compiled 2.6.36 kernel with modules and firmware uploaded anywhere?
If so, I would like to download it and create another linux_kernel
PET. Then my Woof build system will be able to choose either kernel
when building Puppy.

Regards,
Barry Kauler

P.S.