[Arm-netbook] RedSleeve - New ARM Linux Distro

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Mon Mar 26 11:04:24 BST 2012

>> AFAIK, Linaro has implemented code so that it detects NEON at runtime,
>> so there is no need for armv7hf and armv7hf+neon distribution.
> I don't think that is referring to what you think it is referring to,
> but I'll be glad if I'm wrong. Can you cite a source?
>
> Gordan

Slide 4 of this presentation:
http://elinux.org/images/6/60/Ubuntu_on_ARM-_Improvements_and_Optimizations_Done_By_Linaro.pdf
Corresponding Video (52 min):
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/02/26/ubuntu-on-arm-improvements-and-optimizations-done-by-linaro-elce-2012/
It was for Ubuntu 10.04 so no hard-float yet, but I'm assuming Ubuntu
12.04 (armv7hf) will also have those optimizations.
They also added it to DirectFB more recently -
https://launchpad.net/linaro-multimedia-project/+milestone/2011.11