[Arm-netbook] RedSleeve - New ARM Linux Distro

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:17:27 BST 2012

On 3/25/12, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just in case anyone here is interested in taking it for a spin, the
> distro is now on proper alpha release. I am calling it alpha purely
> because the packages aren't signed yet - other than that, I have been
> using it for the past few months on my AC100 and various Kirkwood based
> devices. The reason the announcement hasn't been made sooner is because
> I had to strip out all the branding from the upstream distro that RS is
> based on (because the upstream doesn't exist for ARM).

You have it running on the DreamPlug, which is an ARMv5 CPU I think.

For me personally, I am setting the minimum at ARMv7, as even the
cheapest smartphones these days have that. It has become the
entry-level for Android phones. And of course the Cortex A8 also has
the NEON multimedia instruction set, which is not part of the base
ARMv7 spec.

So, I am planning on using Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin ARM port.

Just my personal response, others might want to set the bar lower.

Regards,
Barry Kauler