[Arm-netbook] proyect easy pc

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:24:47 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Tsvetan Usunov - OLIMEX Ltd
<usunov at olimex.com> wrote:
>> no there is NOT an "announcement for $15 BOM", there is a RELAYING OF
>> INFORMATION FROM THE CPU MANUFACTURER WHO SAID THAT IF YOU MAKE A 7IN TABLET
>> **THEY** ESTIMATE THAT THE BOM OF THAT 7IN TABLET'S PCB will be around a $15
>> BOM.
>>
>> i wish people would actually listen to what's being said.  sorry tsvetan.
>>

> I'm sorry but this pricing is not very clearly explained, I saw this
>http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/allwinner_a10_gplcompliant_computer_15
> which compares A10 with RPi as $15 vs $25 computers, and $25 is anounced
> sale price, so is normal people to assume $15 will be the sale price for A10
> computer

 yes.  i know.  it's very frustrating to keep reading this mis-representation.

 i've actually been told off by my associates in RHT for even
_mentioning_ the possible BOM.

> EOMA68 - The mass-volume (100k units) cost will be somewhere around $15: the
> more committments received, the closer the price will get to that.

 yes - that is because this is "case 2)" for mass-volume quantities,
where we just put people directly in touch with the factory.  we have
an arrangement with them for direct royalty payment: any negotiations
on terms and conditions for warranty etc. are then nothing to do with
RHT or rhombus-tech.

> it would be cool if you explain more clearly the prices and if possible to
> write the final cost including all additional profit, etc as this is quite
> misleading you see Hugo also though you will sell EOMA68 for $15 :-)
>
> something like:
> EOMA68 will  cost $50 for 1000 pcs, $40 for 5000 pcs, $25 for 100 000 pcs
> would less confuse potentially interested to use it

 i repeat again: we can *only* do that once bari has finalised the
schematics, and ellen's team at the factory give us an exact quote.

 welcome to open-ness where the details are available, which is
massively unexpected because a profit-maximising company simply would
not do anything remotely like actually tell people what the BOM is or
the profit margins.

 even the raspberry pi which is a not-for-profit charity has *not*
told people what the exact cost of the components is.  Broadcom is
refusing to tell people the cost of the CPU.