[Arm-netbook] proyect easy pc

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:43:39 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Tsvetan Usunov - OLIMEX Ltd <
usunov at olimex.com> wrote:
> Hi Hugo
>
> very interesting project
> what is your target release price? timeframe to complete this project?
> Also I see you are attracted to use EOMA68 as there is anouncement for $15
> BOM,

no there is NOT an "announcement for $15 BOM", there is a *RELAYING OF
INFORMATION FROM THE CPU MANUFACTURER WHO SAID THAT IF YOU MAKE A 7IN
TABLET **THEY** ESTIMATE THAT THE BOM OF THAT 7IN TABLET'S PCB will be
around a $15 BOM.*

i wish people would actually listen to what's being said.  sorry tsvetan.

ellen's team is going through the approximate BOM (with the major
components) at the moment, so we will have a better approximation soon
enough, and once bari's finalised the schematics, we can get an exact quote.

> but I can't see what is the sell price of EOMA68 ?

there are two plans:

1)  rhombus tech will for smaller quantities (under 10k) add varying profit
margins - probably something like 40% (TBD) minimum, increasing to 60%
(TBD) for the very-small volumes - this to cover costs, warranty etc. and
also provide a stable financial base to develop future products.

*however* as this is a CIC, there are two extra things:

a) if anyone would like to pay *more* than that, we are quite happy for
them to do so.
b) if anyone wishes to pay *less* than that, there will be a sponsorship
programme which the "admins" (phil, wookey, james, alain etc.) will
formally approve once the individual's proposal is in.  however, this
programme can only be activated if there is actually any profit available.

2) quantities of 10,000 and above will be referred directly to the factory.

> i.e. the price of
> the BOM is just part of the final price of one device, there should be
also
> provisions for the assembly, test, pack, some NREs for compliance tests,
> etc.

yep.  precisely.

> Luke, I do wonder if you have pre-estimations: if EOMA68 is manufactured
in
> xxx quantity you can buy it from us for $yyy if you buy zzz modules at a
> time.

see above which is *NOT* yet finalised, because we have to discuss with the
factory.

> So far I found somewhere on the web one to state that A10 cost $5 for
> million pcs order, Luke said in e-mail to me that this $7 price he put on
> the web in the BOM is based on 500 000 pcs per month prognosis,

in that (private) email i sent to you, there was no actual link made
between "$7" and "500,000".

> If I search
> through independent disti I got twice than this price for 1000 pcs i.e.
the
> processor price for 1000 pcs is close to the BOM $15 price quoted.

yes there is a reason for that.

> we work on similar project with iMX233 the goal is to make small linux
> computer which to be easy to reproduce and hack some mix of linux computer
> and arduino, I was interested in A10 but the price for small quantity is
> about same as iMX535 which I can get with registered project to Freescale.
> And If I have to do comparison with the development resources A10 lose big
> time, the only documents so far I got for A10 is datasheet with 75 pages
> which just say which ball what function have and all electrical parameters
> with TBD values :-) no word for register and peripherial initializations,
it
> may work for companies which just do blind copy and paste of the EVK
> schematic

that's what we've done.  we received the EVK schematics from wits-tech.
 the EOMA-68 CPU card is actually a cut-down version of the EVK schematics.
 we picked the A10 not just because of the low projected price but also
because its interfaces are near-direct match for EOMA-68.

the other one that we looked at closely was the AML 8726-M but they messed
us around with GPL violations.